Unlike all the other classes, Week 1 in Indian is not just a Demo-only class. It actually has a lab component, and we made lamb curry. I knew that I found the right class when I couldn't identify half of the ingredients on the recipe. Challenge is good. Challenge = Excitement.
5g cumin, whole
1 cinnamon stick
5g red chili powder
5g turmeric powder
5g coriander powder
5g garam masala
1 onion, chopped
250mL canned tomatoes, crushed
1 lemon, juice
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
salt to taste
* Our Chef kept emphasizing the secret of good Indian cooking: the sequence of adding ingredients. Garam masala needs to be added at the very end. If it's added during cooking, it'd add a bitter taste to the dish.
1. get a pot, heat up the ghee
2. add all of the whole, seed-based spices (cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom), wait until the cumin starts to crack open
3. add chopped onion, sauté until golden brown (takes about 20min w/o lid on the pot)
4. add garlic and ginger paste, sauté for 2 min
5. add all the powder-based spices EXCEPT garam masala (chili, turmeric, coriander)
6. add the tomato sauce, mix well
7. add the lamb, cover the lid, cook at low-medium heat for 1hr (1.5hr to get very tender meat)
8. once the meat is done, stir in garam masala
9. garnish with lemon juice and chopped cilantro
TA-DA..... my very first Indian dish!