Our BBQ class got postponed for 2 weeks because of the Victoria Day long weekend and Memorial Day (our chef went to visit families in the States). The long wait was highly anticipated and it was totally worth it! Despite the labour intensive cooking session, it was a fruitful class that generated many meals for the following week and many happy stomachs.
To assemble the perfect pulled pork burgers, we prepared Slow cooked BBQ pork butts with Sweet chili and smoked paprika rub, Bourbon BBQ sauce, Blue cheese coleslaw, Caramelized onions, and calabrese buns.
Rub (for 10 lb pork butt):1 cup smoked paprika
1/4 sweet dried ground chili
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 kosher salt
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 perpared mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
90 mL Bourbon
4 crushed garlic cloves
1 small onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 dried red chilies
1pc star anise
30 mL vegetable oil
salt to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients for the rub, coat the pork butt with the dry rub
2. Place the meat in the smoker for about 1hr, then transfer the meat to the oven to continue
roasting at 300F for another 2 hrs.
* you can slow cook the meat in the oven the whole time if you don't have a smoker
3. For the sauce, in a large pan, sweat the onion, red pepper and chilies until soft
4. Add Bourbon or whiskey and reduce the volume by half
5. Add sugar, stir and wait until it's dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until
6. Use a food processor to purée the sauce
For the Blue cheese coleslaw:
Ingredients for the dressing
100 g blue cheese
1/4cup cider vinegar
1/2 sour cream
1/2 bunch chives, chopped
salt/pepper to taste
1. Mix all the dressing ingredients together for the coleslaw.
Voilà, the best pulled pork burger that I've ever had!