Tuesday, 19 March 2013

French-Week 10: Seared duck breasts!

This week was our final French cooking class. According to the recipes in the class notes, we were supposed to make Caneton Roti au Confit d' Airelles Rouge (roasted whole duck). Our chef decided to teach us a bit extra. He roasted one whole duck as the recipe says and for the second duck, he took the breasts and legs off and cooked them separately.  The breasts were pan-seared and served with a cranberry/apple sauce, the legs were made into duck confit. For the duck that I got, I wanted to practice both ways of making the breasts and legs. The seared duck breast was very delicious, however I can't say the same about the duck confit. I accidentally neglected it for too long on the stove, it needs optimization next time. So for now, I will just cover the breast recipe. 

Ingredients
2 duck breasts (marinated overnight with salt/pepper/a splash of Brandy)

For the sauce:
360 g cranberries, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tsp lemon, rind
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup diced apple
1 cup diced celery

Methods
1. take the marinated breasts, dry the surface
2. heat up a pan, add oil, pan-sear the skin side of the duck breasts first
3. turn the breasts and pan-sear the other side of the breasts 
 * the breasts should be 80% cooked from the skin side, and the rest 20% should be completed  from the other side
4. transfer the breasts to the oven, bake at 375F for 10min for Medium 

5. for the sauce, heat up a different pan, add a bit of water, add sugar and cranberries, lemon zest
6. bring the liquid in the sauce to a boil, then simmer for for 1hr to reduce the volume 
7. add in the diced apple right before the sauce is ready

* on the duck, I added a bit of warm fig jam which turned out to be a great addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment